Tips for Sellers
Selling your property doesn't have to be stressful. Review our tips, find a reputable agent, and be sure your property is listed on Propertyshelf!
1) Price your Property Correctly. If you have a realtor, heed their advice. After all, you hired them for their expertise--let them use it. Many areas in Costa Rica may look similar, but do not belong at the same price point. If you and your agent have a significant disagreement about what your property is worth, request a comparable market analysis. This is the information buyers will use value your house, so if your property is not in line with comparable properties in the area, buyers will likely rule it out from the start.
2) First Impressions Mean Everything. Make sure your house has good curb appeal. Make sure the lawn is mowed, the foliage is trimmed, and the exterior is in good condition. People often decide whether they can live there or not before they even set foot inside the house.
3) Declutter the Entry Way. You are planning on moving, so why not pack up some of your stuff in advance? People must be able to imagine themselves and their own furniture in your house. Remove as much of your own personal style from the house as you are reasonably able.
4) Make Sure the House Smells Clean. Do not overpower the buyer with scent, as it will make them wonder what you are covering up. You will probably want to keep your house clean while it’s for sale because you never know when someone will want to view it. NO SMOKING!!! Fresh paint on the walls and fresh carpet really helps eliminate and foul odors.
5) Flowers are a Nice Touch. You may not always have time to run to the store to purchase flowers before a showing, but when you are able, it is a very cost effective way to enhance the properties appeal. If the garden has flowers or greenery that you think looks good, cut some and put it in a vase. No need to overdo it. Simple and subtle is best.
6) Freshen the Interior. Paint the walls a neutral color. Replace any torn or stained carpet. Clean the ENTIRE place. You’d be surprised at how much of a difference a total clean out, a little paint and new carpet can make.
7) Finish those “To-Do” Projects. Make a list of all of the items “you’ve been meaning to do” and get them done. Paint the trim, re-grout any tile areas, fix any leaky faucets, toilets, replace burnt out bulbs, fix any broken window panes, etc..
8) Make your Place Look Roomy. Mirrors are a great way to add light and give the illusion of more space. Play with your furniture, and see what looks the best. Consider ways to improve flow and create additional space. Try to put your tastes aside. Remember you are not the one buying your home.
9) Hide your Jewelry, Prescriptions and other Valuables. Unfortunately, some people use your trust to take advantage of you trust. It is not a common issue, but it is better to be safe than sorry.